Tips & Tricks
February 21, 2023
The Benefits of Recycling Services If You Live In Calgary
In this blog, we look at the main benefits of local recycling services, such as saving natural resources, making jobs, and reducing waste. Use curbside pickup, drop-off locations, and community recycling depots to live in a more environmentally friendly community.
Ok so let's dive in.....
Here are some of the most important reasons why local recycling services in Calgary are a good idea, backed up by numbers:
- Conservation of natural resources: By recycling materials such as paper, plastic, and metal, we can reduce the need for new resources to be mined or harvested, which helps to preserve the environment. Here's a fun fact.... 'Recycling one ton of paper can save 17 trees, 7,000 gallons of water, and 4,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity'. So cool right?
- Job creation: Companies that collect, process, and manufacture recycled materials provide jobs for people in the community (yipeee!). In Canada, the recycling industry employs over 30,000 people and generates over $6 billion in economic activity annually.... With more people focused on what they can do personally, this will continue to grow...
- Waste reduction: Well Duhhh! Recycling helps reduce the amount of waste in landfills, which are a significant source of pollution and can have a negative impact on the environment, not to mention, human health. In Calgary, over 70% of the waste that goes to the landfill is recyclable or compostable....
- Energy conservation: Recycling helps conserve energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by decreasing the amount of energy needed to produce new products. Recycling aluminum cans, for example, requires 95% less energy than producing new ones from raw materials.... Isn't that amazing!!
"In Calgary, over 70% of the waste that goes to the landfill is recyclable or compostable."
There are loads of recycling services available to Calgary residents, including:
- Curbside pickup: Residents may recycle their waste without even leaving their homes thanks to this service, which is especially useful for the elderly or those with mobility challenges (or those of us that have kids, dogs and everything else going on). Fun fact: Did you know that BluPlanet Recycling diverted 12,530,612 kg of waste in 2022?!! Woohooo!
- Drop-off locations: These locations give locals a practical way to drop off their recyclables and make sure they are correctly sorted and processed. Using the city's drop-off locations, nearly 21,000 tonnes of trash were kept out of the landfill in 2022 - yikes!
- Community recycling centres: These centres provide homeowners with extra recycling alternatives, including those for hazardous garbage and difficult-to-recycle materials like electronics. The city's neighbourhood recycling centres gathered an astonishing 7,500 tonnes of material in 2022.
Calgarian residents can support sustainable living and safeguard the environment by utilising these services.
Recycling programmes in Calgary benefit the community in a variety of ways, including by protecting natural resources, generating employment, increasing regional economies, and lowering the amount of waste that ends up in landfills... Let's all do our part in keeping Calgary clean aye???
At BluPlanet Recycling, we provide a variety of recycling services to local businesses and residents of Calgary, including curbside pickup, drop-off locations, and personalised recycling programmes.
Contact BluPlanet Recycling right away to find out how we can help you start recycling in a way that is good for the environment at your home or business. Our recycling services are tailored to your specific requirements while reducing your environmental impact, with no hidden or variable yearly fees. Join us in our mission to make the world a better place for future generations by making it cleaner today.